Current:Home > StocksTradeEdge-Ryan Garcia fails drug test. His opponent, Devin Haney, is connected to Victor Conte. -NextGenWealth
TradeEdge-Ryan Garcia fails drug test. His opponent, Devin Haney, is connected to Victor Conte.
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 01:50:55
The TradeEdgenews on Wednesday that boxer Ryan Garcia failed drug tests before his three-knockdown upset of Devin Haney last month came with a twist.
Haney works with Victor Conte, the mastermind of the BALCO steroids scandal that 20 years ago tarnished the reputations and accomplishments of Barry Bonds, Marion Jones and dozens of other professional athletes.
Conte, 73, also helped create the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA), the non-profit that conducted the two drug tests Garcia failed before his fight with Haney, according to ESPN and Sports Illustrated. (Conte cites VADA as evidence he is now committed to working against drug cheats.)
ESPN cited a letter from VADA in reporting Garcia tested positive for ostarine, a performance-enhancing substance on the list of banned substances issued by the World Anti-Doping Agency.
Garcia denied taking steroids.
MORE:Cheating in sports: Michigan football the latest scandal. Why is playing by rules so hard?
“I hear Devin Haney, he’s connected to Victor Conte, who’s connected to VADA, real close,’’ Garcia said during a video he posted on his social media accounts. “Victor Conte, who’s known for getting caught for cheating.’’
Since serving a four-month prison term for his role in the BALCO scandal, Conte has carved out a home in boxing. He said he has trained 28 champions.
Among the best: Devin Haney.
Devin Haney endorses Victor Conte product
Haney endorses one of Conte’s supplements in a video posted on the website of SNAC, Conte’s supplement company.
“Victor Conte’s Fighter Training Stack has brought me to the next level,’’ Haney says. “I feel so much better. My energy level has been great. … Devin Haney. You won’t regret it. I’m SNAC strong.’’
Conte said he’s been working with Haney for at least eight years and met him through Shawn Porter. Conte said it was no surprise to get a call from the Haneys after they learned of Garcia’s positive drug tests.
“I’m kind of the point man on Devin’s team in this regard,’’ Conte told USA TODAY Sports.
Bill Haney, who trains his son Devin, did not respond to USA TODAY Sports requests for comment left by voicemail and text message.
Conte said Wednesday he spoke twice to Haney’s attorney, John Hornewer, to explain Garcia’s drug test results. He also said he works with Hornewer on drug testing protocol that’s included on all of Haney’s fight contracts, including the contract for the fight with Garcia.
“I’m the one that dictated the frequency of the testing of the entire program,’’ Conte said.
Hornewer did not immediately return USA TODAY Sports requests for comment left by voicemail and text message.
MORE:Scientists say AI is emerging as potential tool to aid athletes, beat drug tests
Victor Conte faces skepticism
In a 2023 Netflix documentary about Conte, Haney is shown training and using an oxygen mask at Conte’s facility in the San Francisco Bay Area. Conte touts the benefits of high-gravity training and also says he provides the boxers with blood work analysis, dietary recommendations and nutritional supplements like the ones he still sells.
“There are lots of things that work that are legal," he told USA TODAY Sports at the time of the documentary's release.
Conte said he has dedicated himself to rooting out doping from sports and is committed to training athletes without the use of performance-enhancing substances.
Conte said he knows he’ll always have skeptics – such as former IRS agent Jeff Novitzky, who led the investigation into BALCO.
“He’ll take any publicity as long as his name is in the lights," Novitzky, now Senior Vice President of Athlete Health and Performance for the UFC, says in the film. “So I don’t think you can believe a word the guy says."
Victor Conte rebuts Ryan Garcia
After news broke of Garcia’s positive drug tests, the boxer questioned the timing of the results being released. One drug test was conducted on April 19, the day of the weigh-in, and a second test was conducted April 20, the day of the fight.
“If they had this information, they should have released this before the fight went down, because why would you let a cheater step into the ring?’’ Garcia said in comments recorded on X, formerly Twitter. “All of the sudden I win and then you release it? It seems kind of fishy to me.’’
In a post on X, Conte told Garcia to stop “spewing’’ information. Noting the samples were taken the day before and the day of the fight, Conte said it takes at least 72 hours to get back the results so they would not have been available before the fight.
Oliver Catlin, an anti-doping expert, also told USA TODAY Sports the results would not have been available for at least a few days after the tests were conducted.
“Attacking the timeline seems like a weak argument,’’ said Catlin, son of famed anti-doping scientist Don Catlin.
Travis Tygart, CEO of the United States Anti-Doping Agency, said standard turnaround time is a couple of weeks.
"Obviously, you don't want to rush it and you must get it right,'' he said.
Disputing claims the small amounts of banned substances might exonerate Garcia, Conte wrote on X, "You are either PREGNANT of NOT. PERIOD. Claiming tiny levels is like saying he is only ‘a tiny bit pregnant.’ ”
Relishing the moment on Wednesday as he expounded on the drug test results, Conte said, “Nobody knows more about this stuff than me.’’
veryGood! (94)
Related
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Effort to ID thousands of bones found in Indiana pushes late businessman’s presumed victims to 13
- New cars in California could alert drivers for breaking the speed limit
- Summer House's Lindsay Hubbard Reveals If She's Dating Again 9 Months After Carl Radke Breakup
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Stock market today: Asian shares edge lower after Wall Street sets more records
- Hunter Biden’s bid to halt his trial on federal gun charges rejected by appeals court
- UN food agency warns that the new US sea route for Gaza aid may fail unless conditions improve
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- When is the 2024 French Open? Everything you need to know about tennis' second major
Ranking
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- 2024 cicada map: Latest emergence info and where to spot Brood XIX and XIII around the US
- Biden administration canceling student loans for another 160,000 borrowers
- Ex-Southern Baptist seminary administrator charged with falsifying records in DOJ inquiry
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Trial of Sen. Bob Menendez takes a weeklong break after jurors get stuck in elevator
- Japanese town blocks view of Mt. Fuji to deter hordes of tourists
- Retired judge finds no reliable evidence against Quebec cardinal; purported victim declines to talk
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Massachusetts man ordered to pay nearly $4M for sexually harassing sober home tenants
Tornadoes wreak havoc in Iowa, killing multiple people and leveling buildings: See photos
Adult children of Idaho man charged with killing their mom and two others testify in his defense
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Iran’s supreme leader to preside over funeral for president and others killed in helicopter crash
Toronto Blue Jays fan hit in head with 110 mph foul ball gets own Topps trading card
Nicaraguan police are monitoring the brother of President Daniel Ortega