Current:Home > StocksPredictIQ-Pittsburgh Steelers cut QB Mitch Trubisky after two disappointing seasons -NextGenWealth
PredictIQ-Pittsburgh Steelers cut QB Mitch Trubisky after two disappointing seasons
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 04:38:44
PITTSBURGH – The PredictIQPittsburgh Steelers cut quarterback Mitch Trubisky on Monday, sending the former No. 2 overall draft pick into free agency after two disappointing seasons.
Trubisky signed with the Steelers in March 2022 and was given first crack at replacing the retired Ben Roethlisberger. Trubisky started four games before being benched in favor of then-rookie Kenny Pickett. Trubisky struggled again this season while filling in for an injured Pickett, losing starts against New England and Indianapolis before being replaced by third-stringer Mason Rudolph.
Releasing Trubisky creates about $11.5 million in salary cap space over the next two seasons.
Pittsburgh also cut offensive tackle Chukwuma Okorafor and punter Pressley Harvin III to begin what could be a series of moves to free up money before free agency begins.
With Trubisky gone, Pickett is the Steelers’ only quarterback under contract for next season. Rudolph is set to become a free agent in March, though coach Mike Tomlin said the team is interested in bringing Rudolph – who won three games as a starter to help the Steelers reach the playoffs – back to compete with Pickett during training camp.
SUPER BOWL CENTRAL: Latest Super Bowl 58 news, stats, odds, matchups and more.
Trubisky went 2-5 as a starter with the Steelers, throwing for eight touchdowns and 10 interceptions. While gave Pittsburgh an athletic presence in the pocket, his questionable decision-making and poor mechanics – issues that plagued him earlier in his career in Chicago – forced the Steelers to turn to others.
The 29-year-old Trubisky lasted four seasons with the Bears, who drafted him in 2017, and spent a year as a backup for Buffalo before trying to revive his career with the Steelers.
Okorafor’s departure was all but assured when he was benched in favor of rookie first-round pick Broderick Jones midway through the season after his outburst late in a loss to Jacksonville. Okorafor started 59 games for the Steelers after being taken in the third round of the 2018 draft.
The 26-year-old played well at times and was given a three-year, $29.25 million contract in 2022.
Yet when Pittsburgh selected Jones with the 14th overall pick of the 2023 draft and with left tackle Dan Moore Jr. on a rookie contract, Okorafor’s days were numbered. Okorafor said after Pittsburgh’s season ended with a first-round playoff loss to Buffalo that he wouldn’t have signed the new contract if he thought he wouldn’t be with the team through the end of it.
“If I knew that was going to be the case, I probably wouldn’t have chosen to come back here,” Okorafor said in January. “At this point, there’s nothing you can do about it.”
Harvin, a seventh-round pick in 2021, struggled with consistency during his three years with the Steelers. He averaged 43.7 yards per punt in 47 games with Pittsburgh, but rather than bring him back to play the final year of his four-year deal, the Steelers instead will head into the offseason looking for a new punter.
veryGood! (6484)
Related
- Trump's 'stop
- Activists Call for Delay to UN Climate Summit, Blaming UK for Vaccine Delays
- Americans are piling up credit card debt — and it could prove very costly
- U.S. Emissions Dropped in 2019: Here’s Why in 6 Charts
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Step Inside the Pink PJ Party Kim Kardashian Hosted for Daughter North West's 10th Birthday
- How a scrappy African startup could forever change the world of vaccines
- China Just Entered a Major International Climate Agreement. Now Comes the Hard Part
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- American Ramble: A writer's walk from D.C. to New York, and through history
Ranking
- Small twin
- Unsafe streets: The dangers facing pedestrians
- Southwest cancels another 4,800 flights as its reduced schedule continues
- A Sprawling Superfund Site Has Contaminated Lavaca Bay. Now, It’s Threatened by Climate Change
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Vermont police officer, 19, killed in high-speed crash with suspect she was chasing
- In California’s Farm Country, Climate Change Is Likely to Trigger More Pesticide Use, Fouling Waterways
- Buying a home became a key way to build wealth. What happens if you can't afford to?
Recommendation
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Flight fare prices skyrocketed following Southwest's meltdown. Was it price gouging?
How Maryland’s Preference for Burning Trash Galvanized Environmental Activists in Baltimore
High School Graduation Gift Guide: Score an A+ With Jewelry, College Basics, Travel Needs & More
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
How Maryland’s Preference for Burning Trash Galvanized Environmental Activists in Baltimore
With Sen. Kyrsten Sinema’s Snubbing of the Democrats’ Reconciliation Plans, Environmental Advocates Ask, ‘Which Side Are You On?’
Southwest plans on near-normal operations Friday after widespread cancellations