Current:Home > ContactPrincess of Wales appears in first photo since surgery amid wild speculation of her whereabouts -NextGenWealth
Princess of Wales appears in first photo since surgery amid wild speculation of her whereabouts
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 23:52:59
LONDON (AP) — The first photo of Kate, the Princess of Wales, since her abdominal surgery nearly two months ago was issued Sunday along with a statement thanking the public for its support.
The photo of her in a chair surrounded by her three children was credited to her husband, William, Prince of Wales and heir to the throne, and was said to be taken earlier in the week in Windsor.
“Thank you for your kind wishes and continued support over the last two months,” Kate said on social media. “Wishing everyone a Happy Mother’s Day.”
It follows weeks of wild speculation on social media about her whereabouts since she left a hospital Jan. 29 after a nearly two week stay following planned surgery. She hadn’t been seen publicly since Christmas Day.
The royal family has been under more scrutiny than usual in recent weeks, because both Kate and King Charles III can’t carry out their usual public duties because of health problems.
Royal officials say Charles is undergoing treatment for an unspecified form of cancer, which was discovered during treatment for an enlarged prostate. The monarch has canceled all his public engagements while he receives treatment, though he’s been photographed walking to church and meeting privately with government officials and dignitaries.
Kate, 42, underwent surgery Jan. 16 and her condition and the reason for the surgery have not been revealed, though Kensington Palace, Prince William and Kate’s office said it was not cancer-related.
Although the palace initially said it would only provide significant updates and that she would not return to royal duties before Easter — March 31 this year — it followed up with a statement last month amid the rumors and conspiracy theories by saying she was doing well and reiterating its previous statement.
“Kensington Palace made it clear in January the timelines of the princess’ recovery and we’d only be providing significant updates,” the palace said Feb. 29. “That guidance stands.”
At the time, royal aides told The Sun newspaper: “We’ve seen the madness of social media and that is not going to change our strategy. There has been much on social media but the Princess has a right to privacy and asks the public to respect that.”
Further questions were raised last week when the British military appeared to jump the gun in announcing Kate would attend a Trooping the Color ceremony in June, apparently without consulting palace officials.
The appearance would have been her first major official duty since the surgery but Kensington Palace didn’t confirm any scheduled public events for Kate. It’s up to palace officials, not government departments, to announce and confirm the royals’ attendance at events.
The army later removed the reference to her attendance.
British media reported that the army did not seek approval from Kensington Palace before publishing details about Kate’s appearance in June, and announced the event based on the expectation that Kate, in her role as Colonel of the Irish Guards, would inspect the troops this year at the annual military ceremony.
veryGood! (48)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- J. Crew's Sale is Up To 50% Off — And It's Making Us Want Summer ASAP
- Why Frankie Muniz Does Not Allow His Son to Become a Child Actor
- New Jersey first lady Tammy Murphy suspends her Senate campaign to replace indicted Sen. Menendez
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Ditch Bad Hair Days for Salon-Worthy Locks With Amazon Deals Starting at $4: T3, Joico, Olapex & More
- These Are the 22 Top Trending Deals From the Amazon Big Spring Sale: Shop Now Before It’s Too Late
- March Madness expert predictions: Our picks for today's Round 2 games
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Wyoming governor vetoes abortion restrictions, signs transgender medical care ban for minors
Ranking
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Longtime Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos dies at 94
- The Capital One commercials with Charles Barkley, Samuel L. Jackson and Spike Lee ranked
- Riley Strain: Timeline from student's disappearance until his body was found in Nashville
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- A family's guide to the total solar eclipse: Kids activities, crafts, podcast parties and more
- 18-year-old charged with vehicular homicide in crash that killed a woman and 3 children in a van
- These states have the most Mega Millions, Powerball jackpot winners
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Barn collapse kills 1 man, injures another in southern Illinois
South Dakota man sentenced to 10 years for manslaughter in 2013 death of girlfriend
William Byron wins from the pole during road-course race at Circuit of the Americas
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
West Virginia wildfires: National Guard and rain help to battle blazes, see map of fires
MLB's very bad week: Shohei Ohtani gambling scandal, union civil war before Opening Day
These Are the 22 Top Trending Deals From the Amazon Big Spring Sale: Shop Now Before It’s Too Late