Current:Home > reviewsPrince Harry to return to London for Invictus Games anniversary -NextGenWealth
Prince Harry to return to London for Invictus Games anniversary
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:59:09
Prince Harry is expected to return to the United Kingdom for the first time since he made a quick trip to visit his father King Charles III after his cancer diagnosis became public earlier this year, the prince and Invictus Games Foundation announced Sunday.
The Duke of Sussex will attend the thanksgiving service for the 10th anniversary of the Invictus Games Foundation in London on May 8.
The prince will give a reading during the service at St. Paul's Cathedral while actor Damian Lewis will recite a poem. It was not immediately clear if Harry's wife, Meghan Markle, would be making the trip from California, where they live with their two children.
The prince first created the Invictus Games, a sporting event for military personnel wounded in action, in 2014, when the first event took place in London.
The ceremony next month will mark a "decade of changing lives and saving lives through sport," a spokesperson for the Invictus Games said.
The news of the prince's visit to London comes two days after Buckingham Palace confirmed that King Charles III will resume public engagements next week. The palace said the king had made sufficient progress in his cancer treatment and that doctors were "very encouraged by the progress made so far and remain positive about the King's continued recovery."
Harry made a quick visit to his father's Clarence House residence in central London in February, a day after news broke of the king's diagnosis.
Harry spoke with his father about the cancer diagnosis before leaving the U.S., Buckingham Palace said. The king personally informed both of his sons, Harry and William, the Prince of Wales, and his siblings, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward, about his health.
Charles' health diagnosis is not the only troubling health news for the family: About a month after the king disclosed his cancer treatment, his daughter-in-law Catherine, the Princess of Wales also known as Kate Middleton, announced that she was undergoing preventative chemotherapy following abdominal surgery in January. Harry and Meghan issued a statement after Kate's health disclosure saying they "we wish health and healing for Kate and the family, and hope they are able to do so privately and in peace," and People magazine reported they privately reached out to her.
- In:
- King Charles III
- British Royal Family
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
- United Kingdom
- London
Lucia Suarez Sang is an associate managing editor at cbsnews.com. Previously, Lucia was the director of digital content at FOX61 News in Connecticut and has previously written for outlets including FoxNews.com, Fox News Latino and the Rutland Herald.
TwitterveryGood! (3436)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Statue of the late US Rep. John Lewis, a civil rights icon, is unveiled in his native Alabama
- Stop What You're Doing—Moo Deng Just Dropped Her First Single
- UConn, Kansas State among five women's college basketball games to watch this weekend
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Judge hears case over Montana rule blocking trans residents from changing sex on birth certificate
- Outgoing North Carolina governor grants 2 pardons, 6 commutations
- High-scoring night in NBA: Giannis Antetokounmpo explodes for 59, Victor Wembanyama for 50
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Study finds Wisconsin voters approved a record number of school referenda
Ranking
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- College football Week 12 expert picks for every Top 25 game include SEC showdowns
- Judge weighs the merits of a lawsuit alleging ‘Real Housewives’ creators abused a cast member
- Mississippi expects only a small growth in state budget
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- 'Serial swatter': 18-year-old pleads guilty to making nearly 400 bomb threats, mass shooting calls
- Jason Kelce Offers Up NSFW Explanation for Why Men Have Beards
- 5-year-old boy who went missing while parent was napping is found dead near Oregon home, officials say
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Lost luggage? This new Apple feature will let you tell the airline exactly where it is.
Eva Longoria Shares She and Her Family Have Moved Out of the United States
Worker trapped under rubble after construction accident in Kentucky
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
King Charles III celebrates 76th birthday amid cancer battle, opens food hubs
Florida State can't afford to fire Mike Norvell -- and can't afford to keep him
Japan to resume V-22 flights after inquiry finds pilot error caused accident