Current:Home > reviewsJohnathan Walker:Prosecutors in Trump classified documents case seek to bar him from making statements that "endangered law enforcement" -NextGenWealth
Johnathan Walker:Prosecutors in Trump classified documents case seek to bar him from making statements that "endangered law enforcement"
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 21:14:44
Federal prosecutors on Johnathan WalkerFriday asked the judge overseeing the classified documents case against Donald Trump to bar the former president from public statements that "pose a significant, imminent, and foreseeable danger to law enforcement agents" participating in the prosecution.
The request to U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon follows a false claim by Trump earlier this week that the FBI agents who searched his Mar-a-Lago estate in August 2022 were "authorized to shoot me" and were "locked & loaded ready to take me out & put my family in danger."
The presumptive Republican presidential nominee was referring to the disclosure in a court document that the FBI, during the search, followed a standard use-of-force policy that prohibits the use of deadly force except when the officer conducting the search has a reasonable belief that the "subject of such force poses an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury to the officer or to another person."
The policy is routine and meant to limit the use of force during searches. Prosecutors noted that the search was intentionally conducted when Trump and his family were away and was coordinated with the Secret Service. No force was used.
Prosecutors on special counsel Jack Smith's team said in court papers late Friday that Trump's statements falsely suggesting that federal agents "were complicit in a plot to assassinate him" expose law enforcement — some of whom prosecutors noted will be called as witnesses at his trial — "to the risk of threats, violence, and harassment."
"Trump's repeated mischaracterization of these facts in widely distributed messages as an attempt to kill him, his family, and Secret Service agents has endangered law enforcement officers involved in the investigation and prosecution of this case and threatened the integrity of these proceedings," prosecutors told Cannon, who was nominated to the bench by Trump.
"A restriction prohibiting future similar statements does not restrict legitimate speech," they said.
Defense lawyers have objected to the government's motion, prosecutors said. An attorney for Trump didn't immediately respond to a message seeking comment Friday night.
Attorney General Merrick Garland earlier this week slammed Trump's claim as "extremely dangerous." Garland noted that the document Trump was referring to is a standard policy limiting the use of force that was even used in the consensual search of President Joe Biden's home as part of an investigation into the Democrat's handling of classified documents.
Trump faces dozens of felony counts accusing him of illegally hoarding at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida, classified documents that he took with him after he left the White House in 2021, and then obstructing the FBI's efforts to get them back. He has pleaded not guilty and denied wrongdoing.
It's one of four criminal cases Trump is facing as he seeks to reclaim the White House, but outside of the ongoing New York hush money prosecution, it's not clear that any of the other three will reach trial before the election.
- In:
- Classified Documents
- Donald Trump
- Mar-a-Lago
veryGood! (1543)
Related
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Why Kelly Ripa Gets Temporarily Blocked By Her Kids on Instagram
- ACLU plans to spend $1.3M in educate Montana voters about state Supreme Court candidates
- All the best Toronto film festival highlights, from 'Conclave' to the Boss
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Watch Louisiana tower turn into dust as city demolishes building ravaged by hurricanes
- Delta Air Lines planes collide on Atlanta taxiway but no one is hurt
- Manhunt continues for Joseph Couch, Kentucky man accused of I-75 shooting rampage
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Apple 'Glowtime' event sees iPhone 16, iPhone 16 Pro, Apple Watch unveilings: Recap
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Firefighters battling wildfire near Garden State Parkway in southern New Jersey
- A timeline of events on day of Georgia school shooting
- Declassified memo from US codebreaker sheds light on Ethel Rosenberg’s Cold War spy case
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Lala Kent Reveals Name of Baby No. 2
- Chiefs fan wins $1.6M on Vegas poker game after Kansas City beat Baltimore
- Francine gains strength and is expected to be a hurricane when it reaches US Gulf Coast
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Where Selena Gomez Stands With BFF Taylor Swift Amid Rumors About Their Friendship
Tyrese Gibson Arrested for Failure to Pay Child Support
Federal criminal trial begins in death of Tyre Nichols with more than 200 potential jurors
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Peter Frampton finally finds Rock & Roll Hall of Fame doors open to him
Body cam footage shows police throwing Tyreek Hill to ground before Dolphins opener
SpaceX launch: Polaris Dawn crew looks to make history with civilian spacewalk